Technology has been evolving since the beginning of the industrial age. Each day we see a new feat of achievement in the realm of science. And audio devices have also been upgraded throughout decades.
Earlier for enjoying quality music people used to have headphones which were not only bulk but also mostly were consists of wires and cables.
And then we stepped into the era of wireless tech products. Bluetooth was the first step in connecting devices to other technologies nearby. And that’s how Bluetooth audio devices came to the picture.
These are the headphones and earphones which doesn’t need cables or connectors to function.
The user simply has to pair them with their devices and then they can enjoy good quality music without the struggle of tangled cables.
In this article, we are going to discuss the various steps of How to connect Bluetooth earphones to Laptop. Following this steps which you will be able to easily connect your Bluetooth earphones to your laptop.
7 Steps How to connect Bluetooth earphones to Laptop
1. Checking for Bluetooth module
The first step in the process is to check whether your laptop or PC has a Bluetooth module or not.
A Bluetooth module is something that enables the laptop to send and receive data over Bluetooth connectivity.
These days, most of the laptop comes with inbuilt Bluetooth modules but it depends on the company and the model of the laptop.
To check whether your laptop has it or not, you can check your laptop manual and search for this in the hardware section. If your laptop has a Bluetooth module then you can go to the next step.
If you don’t have a Bluetooth module on your laptop, then you can buy a Bluetooth adapter that will avail similar functions. It’s a plug-and-use kind of device which you can connect or detach anytime.
2. Pairing mode settings
The next step is to enter the pairing mode for starting the process. This means that you want to make your audio device discoverable to the nearby Bluetooth module of the laptop.
To step into the pairing mode, your Bluetooth earphone may vary from one product to another product.
But generally, all Bluetooth earphones have a dedicated button for pairing. You need to long press and hold it for some seconds until the pairing mode is activated.
When you are using a new Bluetooth earphone, it will automatically be in the pairing mode. So, you won’t need to do a thing.
In this step, you must ensure that your Bluetooth earphone isn’t connected to any other devices. Because then most probably there will be an interference with the pairing settings.
Also, you should always keep your device close to your laptop for easier connection which is explained in the next steps.
3. Enabling Bluetooth on laptop
The process is slightly different for enabling Bluetooth over different OS or different versions of it. Below explained are sections about how you can enable your Bluetooth module in different operating systems.
On Windows 10 and 8
- In both of these OS, click on the Start button first. Then go to settings in the same menu. There you will find an option namely Devices.
- Click on the Bluetooth and other devices tab and then set the Bluetooth to ON in the Advanced Bluetooth settings.
- Then in the Bluetooth settings menu, you can see a Discover section where “Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC” will be shown. You need to click on that option and your Bluetooth will be enabled to pair with your audio device.
- For easier use, you can add a shortcut of these settings in the taskbar and when you need them the next time, you can simply tap on the taskbar to go to this menu.
On Windows 7
- In this OS, you need to go to the control panel from the start menu. Then find the Bluetooth section over there. You can also use Ctrl + F hotkey to directly find the Bluetooth section by just searching it.
- Then you have to go to the Change Bluetooth settings option. Then there you will need to on the “Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC” option. This will enable your Bluetooth to connect with any audio device.
On Mac OS
- Go to the Apple Menu where you will find the system preferences. There click on the Bluetooth option. Set it discoverable and your Bluetooth will be turned on.
- If your top menu already has a shortcut for Bluetooth with its icon, you can just switch it on right there. And then you will be able to connect your laptop to any audio device.
4. Pairing and set up
The last step in the process is to pair your audio device with your laptop. Different OS has different configurations. You can follow these steps to connect your Bluetooth earphones:
For Windows 10 and 8
- Go to Start > Devices > Bluetooth and Other Devices. There you will find the Bluetooth button which you need to turn on. Then, you will be able to find an option there i.e. “Add a Bluetooth or device“. You need to click on that.
- From the dropdown menu, you need to select Bluetooth. Then a list of available Bluetooth devices will be shown. You need to click on the earphone and then confirm it.
- Then you can check the Sound settings option whether your output sound is playing through the respective earphone or not. Then after this step, you will be successfully able to enjoy audio from your laptop in your earphone via Bluetooth.
For Windows 7
- First, go to the start menu and select the control panel.
- By this time, if you have completed the previous step, then your laptop should be available for pairing.
- Now go to Devices and Printers from the Control panel and then click on the “Add a device“. There will be a list of nearby devices from which you need to choose your earphone. Then when you click on its name, it will say “Connecting to device“.
- Sometimes the interface may ask for a pairing code. The default code for that is 0000. After adding the device, you will be able to enjoy audio through your earphones successfully.
- The user can note that they can set the audio output as default for the Bluetooth earphone. For this, any user needs to right-click on one icon of sound on the taskbar and then choose their device from the “Playback devices” section.
- Pairing in apple devices is the easiest of them all. If you have turned on the pairing mode in the earphone, the device will automatically be shown in a Bluetooth list in settings.
- You just need to select the device and then your connection will be completed successfully.
- You can check the system preferences for sounds and then set it to your Bluetooth earphone as default if need.
Sometimes problems arise while connecting the laptop to the Bluetooth earphone. Knowing the reason behind them may take time. But you can always follow these steps which mostly will be enough to solve your issues.
5. Off and On
Sometimes the simplest solution is to turn off the Bluetooth earphone for some time and then again turning it on. You can use this when your earphone is in pairing mode but there is no name of the device on the Bluetooth list.
6. Bluetooth drivers
- Sometimes the Bluetooth drivers of the laptop need to be reinstalled or upgraded with time. And if they are not updated then you may find an issue connecting your two devices.
- To check whether your drivers are UpToDate or not, you can simply go to Start>Device Manager>Network Adapters Category>Bluetooth Radios Category.
- If your driver has an exclamation mark, then you need to install them and if there is a downward arrow, then that means your Bluetooth is turned off.
7. Windows 10 Airplane mode
- When the Airplane mode is turned on in the Windows 10 devices, the connection fails between the Bluetooth device and the laptop.
- You can always turn it off by Start>Settings>Network and then turning off the Airplane mode button.
Conclusion of How to connect Bluetooth earphones to Laptop
The article covered all the essential points which you need to have before you get a Bluetooth connection with your earphone to the laptop.
The steps are elaborated well enough so that you can follow them thoroughly and successfully establish a Bluetooth connection.
You may note that some of these steps are only needed to be followed when there is a requirement. Otherwise, if your laptop has such support, you don’t need to follow them.
These steps are accurate in most of the devices as well as operating systems.
However, you should expect to see any changes in your different configurations. In those cases, you may have to look a little deeper to connect your Bluetooth earphone with the laptop.