We are witnessing a quite big change in terms of technology and now, an analog TV at someone’s place is a rare sight.
TVs are no longer used to watch the broadcast content through a fixed number of channels, there’s much more to it than ever.
The picture quality, smart features, and display panels are enhanced significantly and if you have asked someone 12-14 years ago, no one could have predicted or anticipated this development.
Every electronic device that we are using is going through a change where the physical ports are getting fewer.
The port that is almost gone is a headphone jack and you will need to find another way to use the existing wired ones.
A majority of people prefer to still use the wired headphones as it carries a lot less hassle of charging the batteries and also, there is a slight compromise on the quality front.
If you are also like one of us who is trying to find a way to connect the headphones to the TV that you are using doesn’t sport a 3.5mm audio jack, we are here to guide you through the methods that you will need to follow to get the audio go through your favorite pair of headphones.
Get an adapter
The simplest and easiest way you can go is to find an adapter that can fit in one of your inputs that TV has to offer.
You can go through the user guide of your TV or just take a glance at the rear of the device where you will find a plethora of the I/O.
Before you decide on the adapter that you are going to buy, it’s important to confirm that your TV is compatible to offer audio output through this medium.
The common one that you can find on a majority of TVs is an old-school RCA port.
All you need to do is to get an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter and use this analog channel to transfer the audio to your headphones.
There are various options that you will get online, or at your local store without spending any huge amount.
If the TV that you are using has an audio port but the headphones that you are using are wireless, you will need to get a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver.
To make it work, all you have to do is follow the steps below.
- Connect the 3.5mm jack to the TV’s audio port and press the power button on the adapter to turn it on.
- Press the pairing button and once you see the flashing pairing light, you will need to long-press the power button on the headphones to get it in the pairing mode.
- Wait for a few moments and it will be connected in no time. If you are only using the transmitter, it will not allow you to use the headphones’ mic.
- To use the mic, it will be needed while playing online games, you will need to use the adapter that comes with the transmitter & receiver.
Using the TV’s in-built Bluetooth
There are high chances if the TV that you are using isn’t offering a headphone jack, it should be having the Bluetooth hardware onboard.
You will need to separate accessories and the process is quite simple and straightforward for you.
However, there will be an issue for those who don’t find the Bluetooth connection to be reliable enough.
There are various adapters that you can use to get the audio through your headphones, e,g., Type-C to 3.5mm port, or the RCA one that we have discussed above.
How to Connect Headphones to TV without Headphone Jack
- Long press the power button on the headphones to go into the pairing mode.
- Next up, you will need to go to the TV interface and find the Sound settings. This is an example from the LG TV.
- Click on the Sound icon using your remote control and then click on the Sound Out tab. There will be a range of options here and you will need to select the Sound Sync/Bluetooth. Here, tap on the Device Selection tab.
- It will take a few moments and the search results will show you all the available devices.
Use the remote to select the headsets and they will be paired up without any extra effort.
Connect it using the controller/remote
There is no need to invest in a high-end audio device or to get any cheap adapter for Bluetooth transmission if you have one of the latest gaming consoles.
The remote controller or the joystick will offer you a 3.5mm port.
Make sure that the remote is bound with the TV and then connect the headset to the controller/remote.
If you are wondering whether the audio will be transmitted while watching the media content, it will transmit the audio, no matter which service you are using.
However, if the controller that you are using has no audio port, you will need to follow the steps below.
- In the USB port, you will need to connect the adapter.
- It will come with an adapter that will connect with the bottom of your controller and then, you will get to connect the headset.
If you are searching for a way or another to get the audio on both the TV’s inbuilt speakers and the headset, it’s not possible yet.
All the TV OEMs will mute the integrated speakers once you connect any other audio source.
If you believe that Bluetooth is still in need of quite an improvement, let us tell you that it has significantly improved and a lot of times, the output is much better than its counterparts.
I hope that we are able to cover all the necessary aspects and you will be able to use your wired or wireless headsets without any extra effort.
The setup process is also quite simple and straightforward. The adapters that you will need to use will also be highly affordable and you will not find any burden on your pocket.